(Image source from: Live Uttar Pradesh)
Holi festival is just few days away and the majority of people would be dwelling on skin and hair plights that would appear consequently.
Experts say using oil, sunscreen and lip balm is beneficial to keep body protected against effects of the harsh chemicals.
Pre Holi Tips for Skin
* Before playing Holi, it is very important to prepare your skin to make sure that the colors and sun do minimum damage to your skin as they contain chemicals.
* Applying either almond, coconut or olive oil on the body as well as the face is the simplest way to protect skin. These oils act as a protective layer between your skin and the colors. Also, post-Holi, it will be easier for you to get rid of the colors.
* One must apply a gel-based sunscreen to ensure protection from the harsh sun rays. It will get absorbed by the skin easily and as you have already applied a layer of oil, cream-based sunscreen may begin melting in the sun.
* To protect the eyes, it is required to wear sunglasses and to simultaneously look trendy.
* Choose lighter cotton fabrics as they will reflect the sun and keep you cool.
* Don't forget to apply a lot of lip balm.
Hair Care Tips for Holi
* One should never forget to oil the hair before going out to play Holi.
* Adding a few drops of lemon juice in the oil can help cut down infections arising in the scalp from chemicals present in the colors.
Post Holi Tips for Skin
* Washing off the dry color from the skin is very important by using baby oil or coconut oil for 5-10 minutes, particularly on parts of the body entrenched in colors. It then needs to be wiped off either with a damp cloth or a wet tissue.
* It is advisable to avoid the use of soap or face wash as they are alkaline in nature, and applying them will only cause its drying. Indeed, home remedies such as a mix of besan, curd, turmeric, and honey should be used to clean face and body.
* The harsh colors tend to take away the moisture from the skin and leave it feeling super dry and pissed off. Moisturizer will guarantee that your skin is well hydrated. Use it generously to remove roughness and make sure skin stays glowing.
* Colors clog the pores and irritate them. All the dry and dead skin along with the clogged pores will turn up after the use of glow mask. The mask will restore freshness and nourish your skin.
* If the colors are chemical-based, they get profoundly absorbed in the skin pores, and thus, it turns really tough to scrub them off. Exfoliate the entire body and give the care it needs with a de-tan coffee scrub in order to free skin from tan and restore original skin tone.
Post Holi Tips for Hair
* Since hair is most vulnerable to harm caused by the exposure to the chemical-based colors, therefore, it needs to be cleansed, which can be done by standing underneath running water for 10 minutes. Additionally, the scalp must also be mildly rubbed to loosen up the formation of clots blocking the pores.
* To cleanse hair off Holi colors, one can also use a mild natural cleansing shampoo or baby shampoo because they are completely free of chemicals
* A serum used after a hair wash can also help in rinsing off the colors of Holi. It has to be applied to your hair, and then be left to air dry.
By Sowmya Sangam